A moratorium is in effect on adding information from Fire and Blood until December 20th.
Basilisks are a kind of reptile, hideous and fierce. They are said to infest the jungles of Yi Ti. In Sothoryos, basilisks were once numerous in the Basilisk Isles, lending them their name. Basilisks are still found in great numbers on Basilisk Point, some large, some small, and some twice the size of lions.
In some places, basilisks are used to fight other animals, such as dogs, with wagers made on the outcome. A basilisk is able to tear a large dog to pieces.
Basilisks are venomous, and are the source of basilisk venom. The Faceless Men use a paste spiced with basilisk blood, which gives meat a savory scent, but induces a violent madness in any creature with warm blood, whether man or beast. Reportedly, a mouse will attack a lion after a taste of basilisk blood.
A Clash of Kings
When Daenerys Targaryen is visiting the docks at the port of Qarth, she dismounts from her silver beside a gaming pit where a basilisk is tearing a big red dog to pieces amidst a shouting ring of sailors.
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
- Basilisk - Wikipedia article on the real-world mythological creature, reputed to be king of serpents and said to have the power to cause death with a single glance.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 52, Daenerys IX.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Beyond the Free Cities: The Basilisk Isles.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 23, Daenerys III.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Beyond the Free Cities: Sothoryos.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 63, Daenerys V.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 17, Tyrion IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 34, Cat Of The Canals.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 54, Davos V.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 36, Cersei VIII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 68, The Dragontamer.