Brandon Stark (Builder)
Bran the Builder, by Feliche ©
|Reign||During the Age of Heroes|
|Full name||Brandon Stark|
|Title||King of Winter|
|Father||Brandon of the Bloody Blade (in some tales)|
Brandon Stark, also known as Brandon the Builder and Bran the Builder, was the legendary founder of House Stark who is said to have lived during the Age of Heroes. Scholars believe an ancient king's actions have been exaggerated into legend, or the reigns of multiple kings have been remembered as one through the passage of time.
According to legend, Brandon built the Wall and Winterfell; some stories say he did this with the help of giants. According to a ballad in Maester Childer's Winter's Kings, or the Legends and Lineages of the Starks of Winterfell, Brandon also sought assistance from the children of the forest, and learned to understand the True Tongue in order to do so.
Tales from the stormlands claim Brandon helped Durran Godsgrief build Storm's End when he was a boy. Some stories claim King Uthor of the High Tower commissioned Brandon to design the stone Hightower at Oldtown, while others state it was Brandon's son, who was also named Brandon.
It is said that Brandon gave the Night's Watch Brandon's Gift, a stretch of land twenty-five leagues wide, though some maesters argue this was done by another Brandon of House Stark. The Kings of Winter and Lords of Winterfell from House Stark descended from Brandon.
—writings of Yandel
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 51, Jon VI.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: The Age of Heroes.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 24, Bran IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 41, Jon V.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: The Dawn Age.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 31, Catelyn III.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: Oldtown.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 40, Bran III.
- So Spake Martin: The Wall (September 09, 2000)