Commander (Night's Watch)
Commander is a position held by an officer of the Night's Watch in charge of one of the castles along the Wall. The Lord Commander of the Night's Watch serves as commander of the main stronghold of the Watch, historically the Nightfort and now Castle Black since the reign of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen. The Lord Commander chooses the commanders for the other castles.
Around 300 BC, the commanders of the Nightfort and Snowgate went to war with each other. Eventually, both lost their heads to the Stark in Winterfell.
In 50 AC, Ser Olyver Bracken and Ser Raymund Mallery, commanders of Rimegate and Sable Hall respectively, led a rebellion of former Faith Militant in the Night's Watch, trying to make themselves lords of castles at the Wall.
In 267 AC, Ser Denys Mallister was named commander of the Shadow Tower, a position he still holds today.
A Dance with Dragons
In order to strengthen the defenses against the threat of the Others, Jon Snow, the new Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, plans to re-garrison the abandoned castles along the Wall. After ceding the Nightfort to King Stannis Baratheon, Jon appoints men from the Night's Watch to garrison Icemark and Greyguard. Since many free folk have surrendered and passed through the Wall, Jon announces his intention to garrison Deep Lake, Sable Hall, and the Long Barrow with free folk serving under the command of officers from the Watch. Free folk leaders who have yielded hostages to the Watch are allowed by Lord Commander Snow to hold some other castles and settle them with their people.
Commanders during A Song of Ice and Fire
- Sworn brothers of the Night's Watch
- Bedwyck, commander of Icemark.
- Cotter Pyke, commander of Eastwatch-by-the-Sea. While he is away, Ser Glendon Hewett is named temporary commander of Eastwatch.
- Ser Denys Mallister, commander of the Shadow Tower for the last thirty-three years.
- Emmett, commander of Long Barrow. His second-in-command is Eddison Tollett.
- Jon Snow, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch and commander of Castle Black.
- Unnamed grizzled steward from the Shadow Tower, commander of Greyguard.
- Free folk leaders
- Devyn Sealskinner, granted Greenguard to garrison with his people.
- Morna White Mask, granted Queensgate to garrison with her people.
- Soren Shieldbreaker, granted Stonedoor to garrison with his people.
- Tormund Giantsbane, granted Oakenshield to garrison with his people.
- King Stannis Baratheon, ceded the Nightfort by the Night's Watch.
- Unnamed commander of the Nightfort around 300 BC who went to war against the commander of Snowgate.
- Unnamed commander of Snowgate around 300 BC who went to war against the commander of the Nightfort.
- Ser Olyver Bracken, commander of Rimegate.
- Ser Raymund Mallery, commander of Sable Hall.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 7, Jon II.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Fire & Blood, A Surfeit of Rulers.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 55, Jon VII.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 78, Samwell V.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 3, Jon I.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 35, Jon VII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 58, Jon XII.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 69, Jon XIII.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 49, Jon X.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 79, Jon XII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 10, Jon III.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 53, Jon XI.