© Fantasy Flight Games
|Title||Commander of Eastwatch-by-the-Sea|
|Book(s)|| A Game of Thrones (mentioned)|
A Clash of Kings (appendix)
A Storm of Swords (appears)
A Feast for Crows (mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (mentioned)
Appearance and Character
- See also: Images of Cotter Pyke
Cotter has small, close-set eyes, a broken nose and a pox ravaged face. He has a widow's peak and a sparse, rough beard. He is lean, hard and wiry.
Cotter is illiterate, and Maester Harmune must read and write his letters. He is considered rough of speech and bold. Samwell Tarly finds Cotter to be more intimidating than Ser Denys Mallister.
A Game of Thrones
Jeor Mormont, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, assigns Dareon to help Cotter with visiting merchants. Cotter writes to Jeor that elk herds have been streaming toward the Shivering Sea and Bay of Seals, and that mammoths and large footprints have also been spotted near Eastwatch-by-the-Sea.
A Storm of Swords
Cotter captures Rattleshirt at the Long Barrow. When Stannis Baratheon lands his men at Eastwatch, Cotter leads him and his men along hidden paths which allow Stannis to take the wildlings unaware during the battle beneath the Wall.
Cotter puts his name forth as a candidate for the position of Lord Commander of the Night's Watch when they hold the choosing, and is a leading candidate. Cotter is vocally opposed to King Stannis naming the next lord commander, asking if he is to wipe their arses as well. He and the commander of the Shadow Tower, Ser Denys Mallister, dislike one another, but are both convinced by Samwell Tarly to withdraw their candidacy and support Jon Snow, lest the other be elected. In truth, Sam was trying to avoid the election of Janos Slynt, who would have won if Cotter and Denys continued to split the vote.
A Dance with Dragons
Cotter hosts Queen Selyse Florent at Eastwatch, and he informs Jon that Lord Davos Seaworth and Salladhor Saan have sailed for White Harbor. Cotter is aware that Lord Wyman Manderly is building war galleys. Cotter requests reinforcements from Jon, but he dislikes the wildlings sent by Jon to help. Eastwatch galleys spot increasing numbers of wildlings near the shore.
Captaining Talon, Cotter sails from Eastwatch towards Hardhome with eleven ships by the command of Lord Commander Jon Snow. He is to rescue the wildlings brought there by the vision of the woods witch Mother Mole, who saw in her vision that ships would come to take the wildlings south. Eastwatch is commanded by Ser Glendon Hewett in Cotter's absence.
By the time Cotter arrives at Hardhome, he has lost five ships and the wildlings are eating their own dead. The undead are lurking in the woods and in the waters. Cotter sends a raven to Jon Snow, pleading him to send help by land, since the weather was very harsh on the seas. His current fate is unknown.
Quotes by Cotter
- Cotter to Jon Snow
Lord Snow, if you muck this up, I'm going to rip your liver out and eat it raw with onions.
Quotes about Cotter
- Mance Rayder to Jon Snow
- Denys Mallister to Samwell Tarly
- Selyse Florent to Jon Snow
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 78, Samwell V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 19, Jon III.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 70, Jon IX.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 73, Jon X.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 75, Samwell IV.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 15, Davos II.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 7, Jon II.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 48, Jaime I.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 49, Jon X.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 39, Jon VIII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 58, Jon XII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 79, Jon XII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 44, Jon IX.