The Crag is the seat of House Westerling in the westerlands. It is more of a ruin than a castle as the Westerlings no longer have the funds to maintain it. It sits along the coast of the Sunset Sea, south of Banefort, northwest of Ashemark, and northeast of Fair Isle.
King Jaehaerys I Targaryen visited the castle in 55 AC.
A Clash of Kings
During the War of the Five Kings, King Robb Stark and his force in the westerlands march on the Crag. News is received at Riverrun that Robb has taken the castle.
A Storm of Swords
The Crag was stormed, with Smalljon Umber and Black Walder Frey scaling the walls, while Robb broke through the main gate. Robb took a wound and was nursed back to health by Jeyne Westerling. During the nursing, Robb deflowered Jeyne, and being an honorable man, married her shortly thereafter. As a consequence of that, the Westerlings joined with House Stark.
Rolph Spicer, the castellan of the Crag, receives Castamere for his betrayal of Robb in the Red Wedding.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 19, Tyrion III.
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire, Westeros.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 45, Catelyn VI.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 55, Catelyn VII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 14, Catelyn II.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 72, Jaime IX.