Defender of the Vale
Defender of the Vale, alternatively Protector of the Vale or Lord of the Vale, is one of the hereditary titles held by the head of House Arryn, along with Lord of the Eyrie. The Arryns rule the Vale of Arryn, which includes the Vale proper and the Mountains of the Moon.
House Arryn ruled as Kings of Mountain and Vale after the Battle of the Seven Stars, which was part of the coming of the Andals to Westeros. The Arryns submitted to House Targaryen during Aegon's Conquest, however, and have since served as Defenders of the Vale and Wardens of the East.
A Game of Thrones
Young Lord Robert Arryn serves as Defender of the Vale after the death of his father, Lord Jon Arryn.
A Storm of Swords
Jon's widow, Lady Lysa Arryn, weds Lord Petyr Baelish and names him Lord Protector of the Vale.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Birth, Death, and Betrayal Under King Jaehaerys I.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne: Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Blacks and the Greens.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 34, Catelyn VI.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 68, Sansa VI.