Fire & Blood, Being a History of the Targaryen Kings of Westeros
Only the first volume of Gyldayn's work is known to have been completed, covering the reigns of the Targaryen kings from Aegon I to the regency of Aegon III Targaryen. The book incorporates the contents of several of the archmaester's earlier works with only minor amendments, such as The Princess and the Queen, The Rogue Prince, and The Sons of the Dragon.
In the original texts, after completing the first chapter, covering Aegon's Conquest, Archmaester Gyldayn sent a copy to Archmaester Gerold, perhaps for his commentary and approval. However, this manuscript was lost until Maester Yandel discovered it along with other fragments written by Gyldayn among Gerold's papers. Yandel included this chapter into his work The World of Ice & Fire, in which he wrote that he hoped the rest of Gyldayn's masterwork would one day be discovered. Yandel's usage of Gyldayn's text was done with the latter's blessing.
Behind the Scenes
George R. R. Martin, the real life author of the fictional texts, decided to let Gyldayn live into Robert I Baratheon's reign, so his history book could cover the entire Targaryen dynasty. Hence in the latest prints, Gyldayn shared his uncompleted work with Archmaester Perestan, who then informed Yandel. Gyldayn was persuaded by Yandel to permit the use of passages from Gyldayn's work in Yandel's book.
—writings of Yandel
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons.
- When did they update The World of Ice & Fire? (February 3, 2020)
- The Princess and the Queen.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Blacks and the Greens.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Overthrown.
- The Rogue Prince.
- Fire & Blood, Heirs of the Dragon - A Question of Succession.
- The Sons of the Dragon.
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Glorious Reign.
- FIRE AND BLOOD EXCERPT: Gyldayn retcon (November 20, 2018)