Great Wyk is the largest of the islands that make up the Iron Islands. Aside from the Lonely Light, it is the westernmost of the major isles. Great Wyk is west of Old Wyk and Orkmont, north of Saltcliffe, and northeast of Pyke. Unlike the other isles, Great Wyk is so large that some of its castles, such as Hammerhorn, are inland instead of near the Sunset Sea or Ironman's Bay.
Hammerhorn, the seat of the main line of House Goodbrother, is located in the Hardstone Hills. Other branches of the Goodbrothers on Great Wyk live at Corpse Lake, Crow Spike Keep, and Downdelving. The Merlyns reside in Pebbleton, while the Farwynds live at Sealskin Point.
Following the death of King Harren Hoare during Aegon's Conquest, rival claimants rose on Great Wyk, Harlaw, Old Wyk, Orkmont, and Pyke. King Aegon I Targaryen invaded the islands in 2 AC and ended the fighting. Aegon visited Great Wyk during one of his royal progresses.
After the death of Lord Dalton Greyjoy, Great Wyk supported the pretender Sam Salt, who claimed to be descended from House Hoare. Ser Leo Costayne invaded the islands on behalf of Lady Johanna Lannister, but he was slain by Arthur Goodbrother on Great Wyk.
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 1, The Prophet.
- A Feast for Crows, Map of the Iron Islands
- A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: The Black Blood.
- Fire & Blood, Reign of the Dragon - The Wars of King Aegon I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: The Greyjoys of Pyke.
- Fire & Blood, Three Heads Had the Dragon - Governance Under King Aegon I.
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 26, The Wayward Bride.