Greenshield is one of the Shield Islands in the Reach. The northernmost of the four isles, it lies near the mouth of the river Mander. It is the seat of House Chester.
According to legend, Owen Oakenshield drove selkies and merlings from the Shield Islands into the sea.
Garth VII Gardener, King of the Reach, expelled the ironborn from the islands and resettled them with warriors to help defend the Mander.
In 89 AC, Princess Rhaenys Targaryen informed her grandfather, King Jaehaerys I Targaryen, of her intention to marry Lord Corlys Velaryon while the two were in Lord Chester's hall on Greenshield.
During the Dance of the Dragons, Prince Daeron Targaryen forced the submission of the Lords of the Shield Islands to the greens.
Four galleys from Greenshield joined the fleet of Alyn Velaryon, Lord of the Tides, when he sailed to face Dalton Greyjoy, Lord of the Iron Islands.
A Feast for Crows
Greenshield is conquered by the ironborn during the taking of the Shields. After the battle, Euron Greyjoy, King of the Isles and the North, raises Maron Volmark, already Lord of Volmark, to Lord of Greenshield.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 29, The Reaver.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: Garth Greenhand.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: The Gardener Kings.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne: Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Triumphant.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Voyage of Alyn Oakenfist.