A moratorium is in effect on adding information from Fire and Blood until December 20th.
Harrying of the Stony Shore
|Harrying of the Stony Shore|
|Conflict||War of the Five Kings|
|Place||Stony Shore, the north|
Theon Greyjoy is sent to Pyke as an envoy of Robb Stark, King in the North, offering his father Balon Greyjoy, Lord of the Iron Islands, an alliance and a strike against the Lannisters. Balon rejects the offer and instead plans to strike at the vulnerable north. As part of the plan Theon, accompanied by Aeron Greyjoy and Dagmer Cleftjaw, is to take eight longships and harry the Stony Shore, sinking any ship chance met.
Theon and his party attack a fishing village in the dark of the early morning, slaying most of the men and taking the women for salt wives or thralls. A few men are allowed to escape and inform Torrhen's Square.
When news of ironborn raiding reaches Torrhen's Square, Leobald Tallhart sends Benfred Tallhart and his Wild Hares to investigate. Expecting no trouble from the ironmen, Benfred and his party approach the Stony Shore without scouts, singing and talking loudly. In a crook of a road, the ironborn fall on the party, first loosing a flight of arrows from concealed positions. Theon leads the men-at-arms into hand-to-hand combat and massacres the northerners.
The captured Benfred refuses to answer questions and insults the Drowned God within Aeron Greyjoy's hearing. He is put to death on Theon's command, being drowned by Aeron and his followers. Theon mortally wounds one of his ironborn, Todric, after the drunken man squabbles over loot.
After defeating the Wild Hares, Theon gives six of his eight longships to Aeron so he can continue harrying the coast, while the crew of Theon's Sea Bitch and Dagmer's Foamdrinker advance inland.
- Dagmer is sent to raise the forces of Houses Drumm and Stonehouse, therefore it can be assumed that these houses accompanied him and Theon to the Stony Shore.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 24, Theon II.
- Dagmer tells Theon that Asha has four or five times as many men in A Clash of Kings-Chapter 37. Theon tells Asha she needed a thousand men to take Deepwood Motte in A Clash of Kings-Chapter 56.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 37, Theon III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 11, Theon I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 35, Bran V.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 46, Bran VI.