A headsman is an executioner who beheads condemned people on behalf of an authority, such as a king or lord.
Many headsmen use axes to dispatch their victims, although Ser Ilyn Payne uses a greatsword. The head of the condemned can be placed on a headsman's block during the execution.
The King's Justice is the royal executioner for the King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, the monarch who sits the Iron Throne.
Instead of using a headsman, the Lords of Winterfell from House Stark choose to execute condemned people themselves, in the manner of the First Men.
The Lords of the Eyrie from House Arryn throw the condemned out of the Moon Door instead of employing a headsman.
- Garth, at the Wolf's Den
- Ser Ilyn Payne, King's Justice
- Ser Victor Risley, King's Justice
A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 12, Tyrion II.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 38, Jaime VI.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 15, Sansa I.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 72, Jaime IX.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 20, Catelyn III.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 16, Eddard III.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 43, Eddard XI.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 1, Bran I.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 38, Tyrion V.