|House Gargalen of Salt Shore|
|Coat of arms||Red cockatrice with black snake in beak on gold (Or, a cockatrice gules, in its beak a serpent sable)|
|Head||Lord Tremond Gargalen|
|Title||Lord of Salt Shore|
House Gargalen of Salt Shore is a major Dornish noble house. Their seat, Salt Shore, is located along the Summer Sea on the southern coast of Dorne.
Their blazon is a red cockatrice with black snake in beak on gold. Their words have not appeared on the books.
Doran Martell, the Prince of Dorne, squired for Lord Gargalen in his youth. When he was nine, he was at Salt Shore when Lord Gargalen gave him the news that he had an infant sister, Elia.
A Storm of Swords
Lord Tremond Gargalen is among the Dornish nobles that accompany Oberyn Martell to King's Landing. Oberyn explains to Tyrion Lannister that Lord Gargalen once said that he hoped to die with sword in hand, and Oberyn replied he would sooner prefer to die with a breast in his. During the Dornish visit to King's Landing, a fight at a Flea Bottom pot-shop leaves one Tyrell man-at-arms dead and two Gargalens scalded.
A Dance with Dragons
Areo Hotah observes that Lord Tremond does not drink during Ricasso's toast for King Tommen I Baratheon.
House Gargalen at the end of the third century
The known Gargalens during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Tremond Gargalen, the Lord of Salt Shore.
- Lord Gargalen ruling circa 257 AC, Doran Martell squired for him.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 38, Tyrion V.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses from Dorne
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 2, The Captain Of Guards.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 53, Tyrion VI.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 38, The Watcher.