|Coat of arms||Gules, a flail argent within a bordure rayonne sable|
|Overlord||House Baratheon of King's Landing|
House Thorne is a noble house from the crownlands.
According to semi-canon sources, they blazon their shields with a silver flail on red within a black border rayonne.
Ser Rickard Thorne was a knight of the Kingsguard during the reign of Viserys I Targaryen.
Ser Alliser Thorne was on the battlements of King's Landing when Tywin Lannister sacked the city during Robert's Rebellion. Instead of execution, he chose to join the Night's Watch.
A Game of Thrones
Ser Alliser Thorne is the master-at-arms of the Night's Watch at Castle Black. Ser Endrew Tarth replaces him at Castle Black when Alliser is sent to King's Landing with the hand of a wight to drum up support for the Night's Watch and to make the Iron Throne aware of the coming threat.
A Storm of Swords
Ser Alliser returns to the Wall with Lord Janos Slynt. During the choosing of a new Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Alliser puts his name forth. He comes in sixth on the first day, loses votes on the second day, and withdraws his name. He throws his support behind Janos afterwards, but Jon Snow is ultimately chosen instead.
A Dance with Dragons
Lord Commander Snow grants command of Greyguard to Janos Slynt to keep him away from Ser Alliser. Thorne doesn't put up opposition when Jon calls for Slynt to be seized for execution.
Later on, Lord Commander Snow sends Alliser ranging beyond the Wall with Dywen. Thorne believes Jon is sending him out to die but acquiesces to avoid giving Jon an excuse to execute him, as had happened with Slynt. He does warn Jon that if the Others kill him and raise him as a wight, he'll remember and come back.
House Thorne at the end of the third century
The known Thornes during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Ser Alliser Thorne, a sworn brother of the Night's Watch.
- Ser Rickard Thorne, a knight of the Kingsguard to Kings Viserys I Targaryen and Aegon II Targaryen.
- Ser Adrian Thorne, Commander of the City Watch of King's Landing during the regency of Aegon III Targaryen.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: In the Area of King's Landing
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 7, Jon II.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 28, Jon VI.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and End of Regency.