King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men
King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men is the first title born by the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, whose seat is the Red Keep in King's Landing. George R. R. Martin has also used King of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men.
Originally crowned as King of All Westeros and Shield of His People by his sister-wife Rhaenys, Aegon I Targaryen abandoned these titles when he was crowned by the High Septon at the Starry Sept of Oldtown as "King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm". This title indicated that Aegon claimed authority over even the Dornish, despite their successful resistance to House Targaryen in Aegon's Conquest and the First Dornish War.
At the start of the Dance of the Dragons, Prince Daemon Targaryen crowned his wife, Rhaenyra Targaryen, as Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, in opposition to Rhaenyra's half-brother, Aegon II Targaryen. The civil war ended with Rhaenyra and Aegon II both dead and Rhaenyra's son, Aegon III, sitting the Iron Throne.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
Arianne Martell plots to crown Tommen's elder sister, Princess Myrcella Baratheon, as Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, but her plot is foiled by her father Doran, Prince of Dorne.
A Dance with Dragons
In the name of Robert of the House Baratheon, the First of his Name, King of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm, by the word of Eddard of the House Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, I do sentence you to die.
Behind the Scenes
- King of All Westeros, Shield of His People
- King of Westeros
- Lord of the Seven Kingdoms
- Protector of the Realm
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 11, Daenerys II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 8, Tyrion II.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 1, Bran I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 3, Daenerys I.
- Fire & Blood, Aegon's Conquest.
- Fire & Blood, Reign of the Dragon - The Wars of King Aegon I.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Blacks and the Greens.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon III.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 49, Eddard XIV.
- A Clash of Kings, Prologue.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 60, Tyrion VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 71, Daenerys VI.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 13, The Soiled Knight.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 21, The Queenmaker.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 2, Daenerys I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 24, The Lost Lord.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 47, Eddard XIII.
- So Spake Martin: Yet More Questions, July 22, 2001