Kissed by fire
Kissed by fire or fire-kissed are terms used by the free folk to describe people with red hair.
The free folk consider red hair to be lucky and attractive. It is rare among the people who live beyond the Wall, and those who have it are said to be kissed by fire.
Ygritte lost her maidenhead to a red-haired youth.
A Storm of Swords
Ygritte, a spearwife, is considered common looking by Jon Snow at first, but when he joins the free folk he soon learns she is considered a great beauty due to her red hair.
Del tells Jon that he intends to steal a wildling girl with fire-kissed hair.
A Dance with Dragons
Melisandre's red hair reminds Jon of the fire-kissed Ygritte.
Known free folk kissed by fire
- Gerrick Kingsblood
- Raymun Redbeard
- Red Raven
The wildlings seemed to think Ygritte a great beauty because of her hair; red hair was rare among thefree folk, and those who had it were said to be kissed by fire, which was supposed to be lucky.—thoughts of Jon Snow
Tormund: That hair she had. Well, the hottest fires burn out quickest. To Ygritte, kissed by fire!
Jon: To Ygritte, kissed by fire.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 15, Jon II.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 26, Jon III.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 41, Jon V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 62, Jaime VII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 3, Jon I.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 28, Jon VI.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 58, Jon XII.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 69, Jon XIII.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 23, Jon III.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 41, The Turncloak.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 73, Jon X.