Lord Commander of the Kingsguard
Lord Commander is the title held by the most senior sworn brother of the Kingsguard, Queensguard, and Rainbow Guard. The Lord Commander is appointed by the King of the Seven Kingdoms, generally from the existing pool of the Kingsguard. He is a member of the small council.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Dance with Dragons
Known Lords Commanders
- Ser Corlys Velaryon, the first Lord Commander of the Kingsguard under Aegon the Conqueror.
- Ser Addison Hill, 'the Bastard of Cornfield', under Aegon the Conqueror became Lord Commander after the death of his predecessor.
- Ser Robert Flowers, 'Red Robert Flowers'.
- Ser Ryam Redwyne, for Jaehaerys I Targaryen and Viserys I Targaryen.
- Ser Harrold Westerling, for Viserys I Targaryen.
- Ser Criston Cole, 'the Kingmaker', for Viserys I Targaryen and Aegon II Targaryen.
- Ser Steffon Darklyn, for Rhaenyra Targaryen (1st).
- Ser Lorent Marbrand, for Rhaenyra Targaryen (2nd).
- Ser Glendon Goode, for Rhaenyra Targaryen (3rd).
- The Demon of Darry.
- Prince Aemon Targaryen, 'the Dragonknight', for Daeron I, Baelor I, Viserys II and Aegon IV Targaryen.
- Ser Alyn Connington, 'the Pale Griffin'.
- Ser Duncan the Tall, for Aegon V Targaryen.
- Ser Gerold Hightower, 'the White Bull', for Aerys II Targaryen.
- Ser Barristan Selmy, 'Barristan the Bold', for Robert Baratheon and Daenerys Targaryen.
- Ser Jaime Lannister, 'the Kingslayer', for Joffrey Baratheon and Tommen Baratheon.
- Ser Loras Tyrell, 'the Knight of Flowers', for Renly Baratheon.
|“||The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard must be valiant.||”|
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 67, Jaime VIII.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 2, Daenerys I.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 39, Eddard X.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 57, Sansa V.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 The World of Ice & Fire.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 16, Jaime II.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 The Rogue Prince.
- ↑ George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Aemon Targaryen.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 58, Eddard XV.