Justiciar, or lord justiciar, is a title employed in the Seven Kingdoms and the Free Cities by civil servants and nobles tasked with dispensing justice.
During the Targaryen reign of the Seven Kingdoms, Lord Rodrik Arryn, Prince Aemon Targaryen, and Lord Thaddeus Rowan all served as justiciar as well as master of laws.
In Braavos, justiciars are civil servants. Like keyholders, they dress in drab coats of brown and grey.
In Dorne, Prince Doran Martell employs justiciars to sit in judgment in Sunspear while remaining at the Water Gardens.
A Feast for Crows
After the death of Tywin Lannister, Queen Regent Cersei Lannister replaces the office of master of laws with the office of "justiciar", in the style of the Free Cities, and grants the post to Orton Merryweather.
During her time as "Cat of the Canals", Arya Stark sells clams and cockles to keyholders and justiciars.
A Dance with Dragons
After assuming the regency, Ser Kevan Lannister restores the office of master of laws but also maintains that of justiciar and names Lord Randyll Tarly to the offices.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne: Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Heirs of the Dragon - A Question of Succession.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 34, Cat Of The Canals.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 13, The Soiled Knight.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 17, Cersei IV.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 54, Cersei I.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.