Lord of Karhold
|Lord of Karhold|
|Office||Ruler of Karhold|
|Current Holder||Lord Harrion Karstark|
Lord of Karhold is a title held by the head of House Karstark, the ruler of Karhold in the north.
Karlon Stark, a younger son of a King in the North, was the first Lord of Karhold. He built the castle on the lands he received from his father. Originally called Karl's Hold, the name was later changed to Karhold and Karlon's descendants became the Karstarks.
Lord Rickard Karstark participated in Robert's Rebellion and fought for the rebels at the Battle of the Trident. He once came to Winterfell hoping to betroth his daughter, Alys, to the heir of Lord Eddard Stark, Robb Stark, but to no avail.
A Game of Thrones
Lord Rickard Karstark brings his forces to Winterfell when Robb Stark calls his banners. He is accompanied by his three sons, Harrion, Eddard, and Torrhen. Rickard takes part in the battle in the Whispering Wood, but Rickard's younger sons, Torrhen and Eddard, are killed by Ser Jaime Lannister during the fighting.
Rickard swears fealty to Robb when Lord Greatjon Umber declares him King in the North.
A Clash of Kings
Rickard accompanies Robb when the king campaigns in the westerlands. During the Battle of Oxcross, he rides down Ser Stafford Lannister, the commander of a Lannister host, and kills him with his lance. Rickard and Galbart Glover then lead the raiding along the westerlands coast.
Harrion is held captive at Harrenhal after the battle on the Green Fork.
A Storm of Swords
After learning of the capture of Winterfell, Catelyn Stark releases Jaime Lannister from captivity at Riverrun. When Robb's host returns from the westerlands, Lord Karstark is furious and considers the actions of Robb's mother to be treason. Rickard, overcome with grief and anger, sends the Karstark horse from Riverrun, promising the hand of Alys to anyone who recovers Jaime for him. Vargo Hoat hopes to wed Alys and claim Karhold. After Rickard leads a small group of Karstark men to murder Willem Lannister and Tion Frey, two of Robb's captives, in their cells at Riverrun, Robb beheads Rickard for treason.
A Feast for Crows
Rickard's eldest son, Lord Harrion, is a captive at Maidenpool.
A Dance with Dragons
Rickard's uncle Arnolf, the castellan of Karhold, declares his support for Stannis Baratheon, secretly hoping his action will lead to the execution of the captive Harrion by the Lannisters. Arnolf would then force Alys to wed his son, Cregan Karstark, so that Karhold could be claimed. Alys flees to the safety of the Wall, and she weds Sigorn of the Thenns at Castle Black.
Known Lords of Karhold
- Lord Karlon Stark, the first Lord of Karhold.
- Lord Rickard Karstark
- Lord Harrion Karstark, Rickard's eldest son and the current Lord of Karhold.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 20, Catelyn III.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 49, Jon X.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 44, Jon IX.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 53, Bran VI.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 63, Catelyn X.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 71, Catelyn XI.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 32, Sansa III.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 39, Catelyn V.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 30, Arya VII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 1, Jaime I.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 2, Catelyn I.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 14, Catelyn II.
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 37, Jaime V.