Lord of Runestone
In 37 AC, Jonos Arryn imprisoned and usurped his brother, Lord Ronnel. Lord Allard Royce marched against the Eyrie and to demand the release of his rightful lord. Jonos answered by throwing his brother from the Moon Door. The conflict was resolved after the arrival of Prince Maegor Targaryen on top of Balerion.
Lord Yorbert Royce was Lady Jeyne Arryn's regent during her minority and held the title of Lord Protector of the Vale. As such he attended the Great Council of 101 AC at Harrenhal in her place. A few years later, Rhea Royce had become the Lady of Runestone.[N 1]
In 115 AC, Lady Rhea died from a fall from her horse whilst hawking. Her lands and title were coveted by her husband, Prince Daemon Targaryen, but Lady Jeyne ruled in favor of Rhea's nephew instead.
A succession dispute arose in the Vale following the death of Lady Jeyne Arryn in 134 AC. Old Lord Gunthor Royce supported her first cousin, Ser Arnold Arryn, as her heir. The king's regent, Ser Corwyn Corbray, ruled that her chosen heir, Ser Joffrey Arryn, must be the next Lord of the Eyrie, however. Ser Corwyn was killed by a crossbowman at Runestone while confronting Lord Gunthor, as Ser Arnold had sought sanctuary there. War began anew across the Vale, with the Royces, and their bannermen, the Coldwaters and Tolletts supporting Ser Arnold's claim.
When Lord Yohn Royce went north with his son, Ser Waymar, who was joining the Night's Watch at the Wall, they stopped at Winterfell. After a hunt, Yohn defeated both Lord Eddard Stark and Ser Rodrik Cassel in the training yard.
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
Lord Yohn is one of the Lords Declarant demanding the removal of Petyr Baelish as Lord Protector of the Vale after the death of Lysa Arryn. The Lords Declarant sign and issue their statement of demands from Runestone.
After the Lords Declarant surround the Gates of the Moon, they are hosted by Petyr within the Eyrie. Although they want young Lord Robert Arryn to be Yohn's ward and squire at Runestone, Petyr manipulates them into granting him a year to set the Vale to rights.
Known Lords and Ladies of Runestone
- Lord Allard Royce
- Lord Royce, ruling in 49 AC. He attended the Golden Wedding at King's Landing.
- Lord Yorbert Royce
- Lady Rhea Royce
- Lord Royce, Rhea's nephew.
- Lord Gunthor Royce
- Lord Royce, ruling during the reign of King Daeron II Targaryen. He was defeated by Ser Humfrey Hardyng in a tourney at Maidenpool in 208 AC.
- Lord Yohn Royce, called "Bronze Yohn", the current Lord of Runestone.
- A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 23, Alayne I.
- A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- Fire & Blood, The Year of the Three Brides — 49 AC.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale: House Arryn.
- Fire & Blood, Heirs of the Dragon - A Question of Succession.
- Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- The Hedge Knight.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 29, Sansa II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 43, Eddard XI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 68, Sansa VI.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 17, Cersei IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 41, Alayne II.
- Fire & Blood, The Year of the Three Brides - 49 AC.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale.
- The Rogue Prince.
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.