The Others are a species of legendary, humanoid beings that exist north beyond the Wall. They are are tall and gaunt, and their flesh is a pale white, while their eyes are bright blue. They wear delicate, reflective, camouflaging armor, which shifts in color with every step. According to legend, the Others came from the Lands of Always Winter thousands of years ago, bringing with them a cold and darkness that lasted a generation: the Long Night. The first men to form the Night's Watch finally defeated the Others, together with the children of the forest, in the Battle for the Dawn, and Wall in the North was built to keep them out. The Others have not been seen since the Long Night ended, and are presently regarded as nothing more than fairy tales used to frighten little children by most.
Also known as white walkers, the Others go lightly on the snow, leaving no prints to mark their passage. They are accompanied by extreme cold, making it painful for humans to breath. White mists also rise when they come. However, they hide from sunlight, emerging only at night and melting away when the skies clear after a storm. They have the ability to do unimaginable things with ice; The swords these superior swordsmen use, are made of ice. Capable of resurrecting the dead, whether human or beast, tales of Others riding the corpses of bears, direwolves, mammoths, horses, and giant ice spiders are told.
Although most of the Seven Kingdoms believe the Others to be a thing of legend, fisherfolk on the shore near Eastwatch-by-the-Sea claim to have glimpsed white walkers on the shore in 298 AC. Read more...
- "Is there gold hidden in the village? Is there silver? Gems? Is there food? Where is Lord Beric? Where did he go? How many men were with him? How many knights? How many bowmen? How many, how many, how many, how many, how many, how many? Is there gold in the village?" – Arya Stark, stabbing in rhythm 
- "You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night." – Tywin Lannister 
- "The things I do for love." – Jaime Lannister 
Did you know...
- The first Clegane was knighted because he saved Lord Tytos Lannister from a lioness and lost a leg and three dogs in the effort?
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 74, Arya XIII.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 7, Cersei II.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 8, Bran II.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 So Spake Martin: Amazon Omniblog Interview (January 11, 2012)
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 57, Tyrion XI.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: Pyke.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 18, Sansa II.
About the Wiki
Ten sister Wikis in Other Languages
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.