The Century of Blood is the name given to the century that followed the Doom of Valyria. The destruction of Valyria and the power of the Valyrian Freehold in 114 BC left a power vacuum in Essos. One of the few surviving dragonlords, Aurion, who had been in Qohor at the time of the Doom, proclaimed himself the first Emperor of Valyria and marched a Qohorik army to claim what remained of Valyria. They were never seen again.
The Free City of Volantis, at the time the mightiest of the Free Cities, regarded itself as the rightful successor of the dragonlords. The so-called tigers took control of Lys, Myr, and the southern reaches of the Rhoyne. However, when they attempted to take control of Tyrosh, resistance began. Eight of the Free Cities (all save for Lorath) eventually found themselves involved in the power struggle. Alliances were made between cities, and even with the Westerosi Storm King Argilac Durrandon and Lord Aegon Targaryen of Dragonstone.
Meanwhile, the Dothraki rode out of the east, and the grasslands exploded into war. Khal Mengo united all sixty khalasars and went west. The Tall Men of the Kingdom of Sarnor were ignorant to the threat the Dothraki posed, however, and even attempted to use them in their own wars. Mengo and his khalasar burned fields, farms, and towns, returning the lands to their original, wild state. The Dothraki fought for a century, destroying all Sarnori towns save for Saath, several Ghiscari and Qaathi cities, a Valyrian colony, an Ibbenese town, and a former settlement from the Kingdom of the Ifequevron. Famous battles include the Field of Crows, in which the Sarnori, after the fall of Mardosh, finally united against their enemy but lost to the Dothraki, resulting in the destruction of Sarnath a fortnight later, and the Three Thousand of Qohor, in which Khal Temmo attempted to conquer Qohor with his khalasar. After defeating the forces and sellswords hired by Qohor, the Dothraki returned to the city the next day to find three thousand Unsullied. They battled or three days, during which the Dothraki charged eighteen times.
The Century of Blood resulted in destructions and power shifts, the consequences of which are still apparent to this day. Read more...
- "The Iron Throne is mine by rights. All those who deny that are my foes." – Stannis Baratheon
"The whole of the realm denies it, brother. Old men deny it with their death rattle, and unborn children deny it in their mothers' wombs. They deny it in Dorne and they deny it on the Wall. No one wants you for their king. Sorry." – Renly Baratheon 
- "I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." – Jaime Lannister 
- "Some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens." – Tywin Lannister 
Did you know...
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 31, Catelyn III.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 55, Catelyn VII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 4, Tyrion I.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 29, Sansa II.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne: Dorne Against the Dragons.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 47, Eddard XIII.
About the Wiki
Ten sister Wikis in Other Languages
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.