Master of whisperers
The master of whisperers or mistress of whisperers is the king's spymaster and is a member of the small council in the monarchy of the Seven Kingdoms. He or she is charged with gathering intelligence from the Red Keep, King's Landing, around the Seven Kingdoms, across the narrow sea, and other places. Unlike the other positions of the small council, this title wasn't created by Aegon I Targaryen.
Tyanna of the Tower, the most feared of King Maegor I Targaryen's wives, served her husband as his mistress of whisperers. It was said that speaking secrets in the Red Keep was foolish, as rats and other vermin were her spies. She tortured many enemies of the Crown, including fellow wife Alys Harroway and her many alleged lovers; all but two confessed to adultery.
Larys Strong, Lord of Harrenhal, served as master of whisperers towards the end of the reign of Viserys I Targaryen. He continued to serve in the office under King Aegon II Targaryen during the Dance of the Dragons. At the same time, Lady Mysaria, nicknamed Lady Misery, served as mistress of whisperers for Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen.
Brynden Rivers, known as Lord Bloodraven, was a spymaster with a network of spies while serving on Daeron II Targaryen's small council. Brynden later served Aerys I Targaryen as master of whisperers as well as Hand of the King.
Varys, nicknamed the Spider, was the master of whisperers for King Aerys II Targaryen, and after Aerys II's death, for King Robert I Baratheon. He uses "little birds" as part of his network of informants.
A Game of Thrones
A Feast for Crows
Since Varys disappeared from King's Landing the night of Lord Tywin Lannister's murder, Queen Regent Cersei Lannister appoints Qyburn, a former maester, as the new master of whisperers for King Tommen I Baratheon.
A Dance with Dragons
Known masters and mistresses of whisperers
- Queen Tyanna of the Tower, for King Maegor I Targaryen
- Lord Larys Strong, for Kings Viserys I Targaryen and Aegon II Targaryen
- Lady Mysaria, for Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen
- Ser Brynden Rivers, for King Aerys I Targaryen
- Lord Varys, for Kings Aerys II Targaryen, Robert I Baratheon, Joffrey I Baratheon, and Tommen I Baratheon
- Lord Qyburn, for King Tommen I Baratheon
The King's Justice must be fearsome, the master of coin must be frugal, the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard must be valiant ... and the master of whisperers must be sly and obsequious and without scruple. A courageous informer would be as useless as a cowardly knight.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Maegor I.
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Triumphant.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Viserys I.
- World of Ice and Fire Update - Spymaster
- The Mystery Knight.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aerys I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 12, Eddard II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 5, Tyrion II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 58, Eddard XV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 17, Cersei IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 43, Cersei X.
- A Dance with Dragons, Epilogue.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 18, Catelyn IV.