|Title||Lady of Horn Hill|
|Born||In ~235–271 AC|
|Spouse||Lord Randyll Tarly|
|Played by||Samantha Spiro|
|TV series||Season 6|
Lady Melessa Florent is a noblewoman of House Florent, the middle child and eldest daughter of Lord Alester Florent of Brightwater. She is married to Lord Randyll Tarly and the mother of Samwell, Talla, and Dickon Tarly, as well as two other daughters.
Randyll once took Samwell with him on a voyage to the Arbor. After they came back, Melessa revealed to Samwell that his father wanted him to remain on the island and become Lord Paxter Redwyne's page and squire. Randyll used to complain to Melessa about Samwell's cowardice.
A Storm of Swords
When Samwell Tarly discusses his plan with Jon Snow to send Gilly and her babe to Horn Hill - in the guise of the babe being Sam's bastard offspring - he tells Jon that he knows that his mother would want him. Sam is confident that she will find some place for Gilly and it would not be as hard as serving Craster.
A Feast for Crows
While on the Blackbird, Sam thinks of his mother as he clings to the railing and watches waves breaking on a stony shore:
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 26, Jon IV.
- See the Melessa Florent calculation.
- A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 46, Samwell III.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 15, Samwell II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 18, Samwell I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 75, Samwell IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 78, Samwell V.