A motherhouse is a monastic community of the Faith of the Seven for septas, silent sisters, and novices similar to a convent. The leader of the community bears the title of Mother. A similar community for men is called a septry.
Humfrey I Teague, King of the Rivers and the Hills, founded septs and motherhouses in the riverlands in his efforts to stamp out worship of the old gods. Merle I Gardener, King of the Reach, encouraged construction of septries, septs and motherhouses in the Reach.
A Storm of Swords
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 22, Arya IV.
- Fire & Blood, Birth, Death, and Betrayal Under King Jaehaerys I.
- Fire & Blood, A Surfeit of Rulers.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Riverlands.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: Andals in the Reach.
- Fire & Blood, A Time of Testing - The Realm Remade.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys I.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Triumphant.
- Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Baelor I.