Rodrik Arryn, by Laura Avellino ©
|Born||In 44 AC|
|Died||In 82–97 AC|
Rodrik Arryn was the Lord of the Eyrie and the head of House Arryn during the reign of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen.
Appearance and Character
Rodrik was short. By the age of thirty-six, he was balding and had a kettle belly.
A leal friend of both King Jaehaerys I Targaryen and his wife, Queen Alysanne, Rodrik was sensible, knowledgeable, good-humored and a great asset to Jaehaerys's small council. Despite becoming Lord of the Eyrie at the age of ten, he proved to be an able lord, strong but just, affable, open-handed, loved by both the smallfolk and his lords bannermen.
Rodrik became the Lord of the Eyrie at the age of ten after the death of his uncle and father at the hands of mountain clan raiders.
Rodrik's sister served as a companion to Queen Alysanne Targaryen at Dragonstone when the queen was pregnant with Prince Aemon in 55 AC.
Rodrik was named lord justiciar and master of laws by King Jaehaerys I Targaryen in 59 AC. He had four children with his first wife: two daughters, Elys and Amanda, and two sons.
As King Jaehaerys I's and his sister-wife, Queen Alysanne's, daughter Princess Daella's sixteenth nameday approached a suitable candidate for her to wed was needed by the end of the year 80 AC. Among the lords that contended for her hand were, Boremund Baratheon of Storm's End, Tymond Lannister of Casterly Rock, and Rodrik. Daella chose Rodrik for she found him the kindest.
Rodrik then took his wife back to the Eyrie, resigning his position on the small council. Daella fell pregnant after a year and a half of marriage and died of childbed fever after their daughter, Aemma, was born in 82 AC.
At a young age[N 1] Aemma married her cousin, Prince Viserys Targaryen. When Viserys was crowned Lord of the Seven Kingdoms in 103 AC, Aemma became a queen. Aemma's daughter, Rodrik's granddaughter, Rhaenyra Targaryen fought over the Iron Throne with her half-brother Aegon II Targaryen during the Dance of the Dragons, with one of her sons, Aegon III Targaryen, claiming the throne at the end of the war. Ever since, each of the kings of the Targaryen Dynasty, as well as King Robert I Baratheon, can trace back their lineage to Rodrik and his Targaryen wife.
- ↑ Aemma was born in 82 AC, and married Viserys in 93 AC (Fire & Blood, Heirs of the Dragon - A Question of Succession), thereby placing her age around eleven.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Fire & Blood, Birth, Death, and Betrayal Under King Jaehaerys I.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne: Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 See the Rodrik Arryn calculation.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys I.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The Rogue Prince.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon II.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon III.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale: House Arryn.