Located atop the Stone Drum is the Chamber of the Painted Table, a large round room with black stone walls. Its four windows, tall and narrow, look out upon the points of the compass. Each window has wooden shutters and heavy velvet curtains, and the room has a hearth as well. The Painted Table of Aegon the Conqueror is found in the center of the chamber.
Aegon the Conqueror commissioned the Painted Table years before the Conquest. In 37 AC, King Aegon I died of a stroke in the Chamber of the Painted Table while explaining his victories to his grandsons, Aegon and Viserys.
Maegor I Targaryen claimed the crown after the death of his elder brother, King Aenys I Targaryen. Aenys's widow, Alyssa Velaryon, fled to Driftmark with their children, and Maegor responded by dictating letters in the Chamber of the Painted Table.
According to Maester Culiper, Androw Farman would spend entire days moving wooden soldiers about the Painted Table. After admitting to several murders at Dragonstone, Androw leapt to his death from the chamber. Rhaena Targaryen kept her chambers in the Stone Drum. When she argued with her daughter, Aerea Targaryen, their quarrel rang throughout the tower.
A Clash of Kings
After burning statues of the Seven on the shore of Dragonstone, Stannis holds a war council atop the Stone Drum. After meeting with his bannermen, Stannis tasks Ser Davos Seaworth with spreading his letters along the narrow sea.
A Storm of Swords
After being released from Dragonstone's dungeon, Davos is brought before Stannis in the Chamber of the Painted Table. The Onion Knight advises against Ser Axell Florent's plan to attack Claw Isle, and Stannis decides to name Davos as his Hand of the King. Stannis later discusses the deaths of Robb Stark and Balon Greyjoy in the chamber.
—thoughts of Cressen
The Stone Drum loomed huge ahead of him.—thoughts of Davos Seaworth
- A Clash of Kings, Prologue.
- Fire & Blood, Birth, Death, and Betrayal Under King Jaehaerys I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 10, Davos II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 36, Davos IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 63, Davos VI.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Overthrown.
- Fire & Blood, Aegon's Conquest.
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- Fire & Blood, The Year of the Three Brides - 49 AC.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 10, Davos I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 54, Davos V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 63, Victarion I.