The Three Widows was the nickname used by Archmaester Gyldayn to refer to Samantha Tarly, Johanna Lannister, and Elenda Baratheon.
- Lady Samantha Tarly, widow of Lord Ormund Hightower of Oldtown.
- Lady Johanna Westerling, widow of Lord Jason Lannister of Casterly Rock.
- Lady Elenda Caron, widow of Lord Borros Baratheon of Storm's End.
After the death of King Aegon II Targaryen, Lord Corlys Velaryon attempted to make peace between the blacks and the greens. He sent terms of peace to Casterly Rock, Oldtown and Storm's End, the seats of the three most powerful green supporters, the Lannisters, the Hightowers, and the Baratheons. As the heads of these houses all died during the war and their successors were too young to rule,[N 1] the widows ruled in their stead.
Lady Elenda and Lady Johanna quickly agreed to the terms sent by the Sea Snake. In Oldtown, young Lord Lyonel refused them at first, but in the end he was persuaded by Lady Samantha to accept them. After six days of waiting, Lord Cregan Stark, who had taken control of King's Landing, was forced to accept the peace forged by Lord Corlys and the Three Widows, which marked the official end of the Dance of the Dragons.
The Three Widows[N 2] came to the capital to assist to the coronation of Prince Aegon into King Aegon III Targaryen, and his wedding to Princess Jaehaera Targaryen. When they left the city, their daughters, son, siblings, and cousins remain to serve the new king and queen as companions and hostages.
The great lords would have given us another two years of war, it was the women who made the peace. Black Aly, the Maiden of the Vale, the Three Widows, the Dragon Twins, ’twas them who brought the bloodshed to an end, and not with swords or poison, but with ravens, words, and kisses.—Excerpt from The Testimony of Mushroom
- ↑ Lyonel Hightower was around sixteen years old, Loreon Lannister was five years old, and Royce Baratheon was born only days before Corlys sent his terms.
- ↑ Elenda was still recovering from the delivery of her son at the time. Therefore she sent her father, Lord Royce Caron, to King's Landing to represent her.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Fire & Blood, Aftermath - The Hour of the Wolf.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Hooded Hand.