Ulmer of the Kingswood
|Alias||Ulmer of the Kingswood|
Ulmer is stooped with a grey beard. His limbs and skin are loose.
Ulmer was once an outlaw and member of the Kingswood Brotherhood. Trained by Fletcher Dick, Ulmer claims he once put an arrow through the hand of Ser Gerold Hightower, the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard for Aerys II Targaryen, in order to steal a kiss from a Dornish princess (presumably Elia Martell). He also stole her jewels and a chest of coins. Ulmer helped Wenda the White Fawn burn her mark in the buttocks of her highborn captives, such as Merrett Frey. After the destruction of the Brotherhood by Ser Arthur Dayne, Ulmer was sent to the Wall.
A Storm of Swords
Ulmer is part of the great ranging, the force that leaves Castle Black and the Shadow Tower in search of Benjen Stark and Mance Rayder. He survives the fight at the Fist, stays loyal to the Watch during the mutiny at Craster's Keep, and is one of the few survivors of the ranging to make it back to Castle Black.
A Feast for Crows
Jon orders that the garrison of Castle Black practice the bow under the guidance of Ulmer.
A Dance with Dragons
The roguish Ulmer gracefully dances with serving girls at the wedding feast of Alys Karstark and Sigorn of Thenn. He commands from atop the Wall when Tormund leads his free folk through to safety.
Samwell: I can hit the target more often than not now, but I'm still the worst archer who ever bent a bow. I like Ulmer's stories, though. Someone needs to write them down and put them in a book.
Jon: You do it.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 79, Jon XII.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Ulmer.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 33, Samwell II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 49, Jon X.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 5, Samwell I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 10, Jon III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 58, Jon XII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 7, Jon II.