The First Blackfyre Rebellion, originally known simply as the Blackfyre Rebellion, was a war fought between the loyalist forces of King Daeron II Targaryen and the rebel forces of his bastard-born half-brother, Daemon I Blackfyre, who sought to claim the Iron Throne.
The reign of Daeron II's father, King Aegon IV Targaryen, had been a corrupt one. Aegon and Daeron often found themselves at different ends of an argument, and eventually rumors were spread by Aegon himself that Daeron had been fathered by Prince Aemon "the Dragonknight", suggesting that Daeron was a bastard. Regardless, Daeron was never disinherited by his father. At the same time, Aegon showed favor to one of his bastard children: a boy named Daemon Waters, fathered upon his cousin Daena Targaryen. Aegon IV gave the Valyrian steel sword Blackfyre to the twelve year old Daemon and openly acknowledged him. There were some who believed that the sword, which had been passed on from king to king since Aegon the Conquerer, symbolized the monarchy, and so the public gift of the sword eventually started to whispers that Daemon should be king instead of Daeron II.
Further disagreement in the realm arose because of the increased influence the Dornish had at the court of Daeron II. Daeron's queen was Princess Mariah Martell of Dorne, and Daeron himself had brought Dorne into the realm by marrying his sister Daenerys to Mariah's brother Maron the Prince of Dorne. Some lords, however, longed back to the days when the Dornish had been their enemies on the battlefield, and not their enemies at court. All in all, lords who found any cause to disagree with Daeron's rule began to gather around the bastard-born Daemon, who had taken his the surname "Blackfyre" from his Valyrian steel sword.
In early 196 AC the war began. It would last nearly a year, and divide the Seven Kingdoms. Read more...
- "You may well have the better claim, but I have the larger army." – Renly Baratheon 
- "You know the saying about the Hand?" – Robert Baratheon
"What the King dreams, the Hand builds." – Eddard Stark
"I bedded a fishmaid once who told me the lowborn have a choicer way to put it. The king eats, they say and the Hand takes the shit." – Robert 
- "Never fear the darkness, Bran. The strongest trees are rooted in the dark places of the earth. Darkness will be your cloak, your shield, your mother's milk. Darkness will make you strong." – Three-eyed crow to Bran Stark 
Did you know...
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 31, Catelyn III.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 4, Eddard I.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 34, Bran III.
- ↑ So Spake Martin: The Great Bastards (December 26, 2005)
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Baelor I.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon IV.
- ↑ George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Jaehaerys I Targaryen.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys I.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, Appendix: Targaryen Lineage.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: In the Reach
- ↑ So Spake Martin: Josua and Elyas (December 4, 1999)
About the Wiki
Ten sister Wikis in Other Languages
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.