Three Brazen Beasts in brass masks by Andrius Anezin © Fantasy Flight Games
|Allegiance||Queen Daenerys Targaryen|
|Current Leader||Skahaz mo Kandaq|
|Founder||Skahaz mo Kandaq|
The Brazen Beasts are the new city watch army of Meereen, formed on the orders of Queen Daenerys Targaryen in 300 AC. The Brazen Beasts are made up of shavepates and freedmen, and are of Meereenese birth. Skahaz mo Kandaq, who is also known as "the Shavepate", commands the Brazen Beasts under Daenerys's rule.
- See also: Images of Brazen Beasts
The Brazen Beasts wear brass masks with the faces of animals. Over the masks, they wear dark hoods. Ser Barristan Selmy hates the masks, as he dislikes not knowing who is behind them, and feels that honest men should not hide their faces.
The Brazen Beasts wear pleated skirts and leather sandals, and many-colored patchwork cloaks to represent the many-colored bricks of Meereen. They are armed with cudgels, staves, spears, and shortswords.
The animal masks include:
A Dance with Dragons
Because her Unsullied are being killed by the Sons of the Harpy, Queen Daenerys Targaryen commands Skahaz mo Kandaq to form a watch made of native Meereeneese to keep the peace in Meereen. Skahaz mo Kandaq forms the Brazen Beasts from equal numbers of freedmen and shavepate Meereenese. They walk the streets of Meereen day and night, in dark hoods and brass masks.
For every Brazen Beast killed by a Son of the Harpy, Skahaz would prefer to kill one of the Meereneese noble child hostages kept by Queen Daenerys Targaryen, but she rejects this advice.
Skahaz has the Brazen Beasts follow Daenerys's betrothed Hizdahr zo Loraq and spy on him. Despite the lack of proof, Skahaz believes that Hizdahr is the Harpy.
Daenerys visits Meereen's fighting pits for the first time, along with her new husband Hizdahr zo Loraq. The royal procession is led by a shavepate herald with a drum, followed by Brazen Beasts marching four abreast.
After Daenerys disappears from the fighting pit, having flown away on Drogon's back, King Hizdahr removes Skahaz from command of the Brazen Beasts and appoints his own cousin, Marghaz zo Loraq, in Skahaz's stead. Nonetheless, the Brazen Beasts are still loyal to Skahaz and follow his orders when Skahaz, Barristan Selmy, and Grey Worm arrest Hizdahr and seize control of Meereen.
Prince Quentyn Martell, his friends Cletus Yronwood and Gerris Drinkwater, and sellswords of the Windblown disguise themselves as Brazen Beasts, in uniforms acquired by the Tattered Prince, in an effort to capture the dragons Rhaegal and Viserion. During the attempt, four of the Brazen Beasts are killed, one by Yronwood and the rest by the Windblown. Of those who died, two were freedmen who had followed Daenerys since she took Astapor.
The Beasts are still mine. Do not forget it.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 16, Daenerys III.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 55, The Queensguard.
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 52, Daenerys IX.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 68, The Dragontamer.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 67, The Kingbreaker.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 50, Daenerys VIII.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 59, The Discarded Knight.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 30, Daenerys V.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 11, Daenerys II.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 23, Daenerys IV.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 70, The Queen's Hand.