|Born||near the White Knife|
|Died||In 299 AC, Winterfell|
Chayle is a septon from the Faith of the Seven. He is the guardian of Winterfell's sept, where he hangs carved masks of the Seven, and the librarian of the castle's library tower.
Chayle is young and cheerful. He believes that Hodor has a gentle spirit. He wears the crystal of his order on a silver chain.
Chayle grew up on the shores of the White Knife and is a very good swimmer.
A Game of Thrones
Septon Chayle falls asleep reading about Grand Maester Aethelmure while Tyrion Lannister explores Winterfell's library. The library tower is set afire when the catspaw tries to assassinate Bran Stark.
A Clash of Kings
While they are sorting through some scrolls from Winterfell's library fire, Chayle tells Bran that the red comet "is the sword that slays the season." Bran thinks he probably is right since a white raven has arrived from Oldtown bringing word of autumn.
Jojen Reed foresees the death of Chayle in his green dreams. When Bran tells Chayle of his nearing death, Chayle holds to his faith. After Winterfell is taken by the ironborn, Chayle is struck when he tries to assist Palla, who has been raped. Theon Greyjoy has Chayle thrown into a well to honor the Drowned God.
A dripping Chayle appears in Theon's nightmare of King Robert I Baratheon's feast of the dead at Winterfell.
Quotes by Chayle
The gods will take me when they see fit, though I scarcely think it likely that I'll drown, Bran.—Chayle to Bran Stark
Quotes about Chayle
—Theon Greyjoy to Chayle
Behind the Scenes
Septon Cellador is erroneously called "Septon Chayle" on one occasion in A Dance with Dragons, Jon X.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 33, Catelyn IV.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 9, Tyrion I.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 35, Catelyn IV.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 16, Bran II.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 35, Bran V.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 14, Catelyn III.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 4, Bran I.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 46, Bran VI.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 50, Theon IV.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 49, Jon X.