Heartsbane is the two-handed Valyrian steel greatsword of House Tarly.
For the last five centuries, the sword has been an heirloom of House Tarly passed down from one Lord of Horn Hill to the next.
Savage Sam Tarly cut down dozens of Dornishmen with Heartsbane during the Vulture Hunt.
Lord Randyll Tarly let his son and heir, Samwell Tarly, hold Heartsbane a few times, but the boy was afraid he would hurt his sisters. Randyll eventually disowned his pacific son, forcing Sam to take the black.
A Clash of Kings
Lord Randyll Tarly wears Heartsbane while with Renly Baratheon's army.
A Storm of Swords
While serving beyond the Wall with the Night's Watch, Samwell Tarly dreams of a feast at Horn Hill during which he cuts a roast with Heartsbane.
A Feast for Crows
Randyll carries Heartsbane while bringing order to Maidenpool.
Victarion Greyjoy anticipates claiming Heartsbane from Randyll when the Reach retaliates for the taking of the Shields by the ironborn.
- Lord Samwell Tarly
- Lord Randyll Tarly
Heartsbane must go to a man strong enough to wield her, and you are not worthy to touch her hilt.
I was heir to my father's blade once. Heartsbane. Lord Randyll let me hold it a few times, but it always scared me. It was Valyrian steel, beautiful but so sharp I was afraid I'd hurt one of my sisters. Dickon will have it now.
Dunstan: Lord Tarly bears the greatsword Heartsbane, forged of Valyrian steel, and he is always in Lord Tyrell's van.
Victarion: Let him come. I will take his sword for mine own, as your own forebear took Red Rain.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 26, Jon IV.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 18, Samwell I.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 60, Jon VIII.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 46, Samwell III.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 14, Brienne III.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 29, The Reaver.