|Coat of arms||
Three red hart's heads caboshed on a white bend on vair|
(Vair, on a bend argent three harts’ heads caboshed gules)
|Overlord||House Baratheon of King's Landing|
House Harte is a noble house from the crownlands. The Hartes are sworn directly to House Baratheon of King's Landing. According to semi-canon sources, they blazon their arms with three red hart's heads caboshed on a white bend on vair.
When the realm began to turn against King Maegor I Targaryen for Prince Jaehaerys Targaryen, Lord Harte was among the score of lesser lords who gathered at his command. However, when Maegor mysteriously died upon the Iron Throne, Lord Harte fled to his seat. When the young King Jaehaerys I resided at Dragonstone, Lord Harte was one of the several lords who traveled to the island to speak with the king.
At the beginning of the Dance of the Dragons, Lord Harte was among the nobles at court loyal to Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen and imprisoned for his loyalties. Lord Harte was brought before the King's Justice and beheaded for refusing to bend the knee to King Aegon II Targaryen.
During the regency of Aegon III Targaryen, Ser Denys Harte accompanied Lord Manfryd Mooton to Braavos. During his time in the city, Denys allegedly engaged the services of the Faceless Men to kill a rival back in King's Landing. Lady Hazel Harte, wife of Daeron Velaryon, succumbed to the Winter Fever.
A Clash of Kings
Ser Elwood Harte fights for King Joffrey I Baratheon at the Battle of the Blackwater. Ser Donnel Swann surrenders to Elwood after he is injured in the battle.
A Storm of Swords
Tom of Sevenstreams sings a song called "Lord Harte Rode Out on a Rainy Day".
House Harte at the end of the third century
The known Hartes during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Ser Elwood Harte, fought during the Battle of the Blackwater.
- Lord Harte, one of King Maegor I Targaryen's last supporters.
- Lord Harte, who was executed in 129 AC for supporting Rhaenyra Targaryen.
- Ser Denys Harte, a knight who allegedly engaged the services of the Faceless Men.
- Lady Hazel Harte, married Daeron Velaryon, the mother of Queen Daenaera Velaryon.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: the area of King's Landing
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Prince into King - The Ascension of Jaehaerys I.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, A Surfeit of Rulers.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 67, Jaime VIII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 39, Arya VII.
- ↑ The Sons of the Dragon.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragons and the Gold.