|House Sarsfield of Sarsfield|
True to the Mark
|Coat of arms||
A green arrow on a white bend, on a green field|
(Vert, on a bend argent an arrow of the field, point to dexter chief)
|Founded||Coming of the Andals|
House Sarsfield of Sarsfield is a noble house from Sarsfield in the westerlands. It blazons its shield with a green arrow on a white bend on green. According to semi-canon sources, their motto is "True to the Mark".
House Sarsfield was formed by the union of First Men and Andal nobles during the coming of the Andals.
A Clash of Kings
The Sarsfield colors are spotted by Arya Stark among Lord Tywin Lannister's army as it leaves Harrenhal.
A Storm of Swords
Arya kills a pimply squire from House Sarsfield at the inn at the crossroads. However, the boy's death is attributed to Sandor Clegane.
A Feast for Crows
Brienne of Tarth spies the Sarsfield arrow on one of the badges of the guards attending the gate at Maidenpool.
The Sarsfield banner is spotted by Ser Jaime Lannister among those that escort the corpse of Tywin Lannister back to Casterly Rock.
Sarsfield's mounted archers are among the force under Jaime's command which leaves King's Landing to resolve the siege of Riverrun.
Brienne and her companions see the corpses of the perpetrators of the raid on Saltpans hanged from trees. Among the dead are men with arrows badges sewn on their breasts, presumably Norridge or Sarsfield men-at-arms who became broken men during the War of the Five Kings.
House Sarsfield at the end of the third century
The known Sarsfields during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Ser Melwyn Sarsfield
- Shierle Swyft, his wife.
With unspecified familiar relationship to the main branch of the house there is also:
- "pimply squire", the squire of Ser Gregor Clegane killed by Arya Stark
Behind the Scenes
The sigil of House Sarsfield is a reference by George R. R. Martin to the comic book character Green Arrow.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The World of Ice & Fire, The Westerlands.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 38, Arya VIII.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Westerlands
- ↑ The Citadel. House Mottoes
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 74, Arya XIII.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 27, Jaime III.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 14, Brienne III.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 16, Jaime II.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 37, Brienne VII.
- ↑ The Citadel: Are there any nods to other works in the series?