Lord of Casterly Rock
Shield of Lannisport
Warden of the West
|Born||In 89–97 AC|
|Died||In 130 AC, the Red Fork|
|Spouse(s)||Lady Johanna Lannister|
Three other trueborn daughters
The World of Ice & Fire (mentioned)|
Fire and Blood (mentioned)
The Rogue Prince (mentioned)
The Princess and the Queen (mentioned)
|Played by||Jefferson Hall|
|TV series||House of the Dragon: Season 1|
Jason Lannister was the Lord of Casterly Rock, the Shield of Lannisport, the Warden of the West, and the head of House Lannister during the reigns of kings Viserys I and Aegon II Targaryen. He was the older twin of Ser Tyland Lannister.
Appearance and Character
When Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen visited the westerlands in 112 AC, Ser Jason and his younger twin, Ser Tyland, vied for the hand of the princess during a feast at Casterly Rock. Both the twins showered her with gifts without success.
When the Dance of the Dragons began in 129 AC, Ser Tyland served as master of coin to King Aegon II Targaryen. His brother's close association with the Iron Throne and his favored position at court brought Lord Jason into the Dance supporting the greens against Rhaenyra's claim. Lord Jason gathered a formidable host of a thousand knights and seven thousand archers and men-at-arms.
Prince Aemond Targaryen had Jason and his host descend on the riverlands from the Red Fork. In the Battle at the Red Fork, the riverlords rushed to meet Jason's host in battle. The westermen tried to cross the ford three times, but were turned back. In the third attempt, Lord Jason was mortally wounded by Pate of Longleaf, a grizzled squire. While Jason was dying of his wounds, Ser Adrian Tarbeck took command of the westermen and shattered the riverlords' host. Lord Jason died from his wounds not long after, leaving Casterly Rock in disarray.
Jason was succeeded as Lord of Casterly Rock by his young son, Loreon. For his actions, Pate was knighted by Lord Petyr Piper and dubbed "Longleaf the Lionslayer". Jason's widow, Lady Johanna Lannister, defended the westerlands from the Red Kraken, Lord Dalton Greyjoy. With most of the Lannister strength in the riverlands, the ironborn descended on the thinly defended westerlands, sacking Lannisport and seizing hundreds of women, including Lord Jason's favorite mistress and his natural daughters.
Jason was married to Lady Johanna of House Westerling with whom he had five daughters, including Cerelle and Tyshara, and one son Loreon. Jason also had natural daughters with his favorite mistress.
- Fire & Blood, Heirs of the Dragon - A Question of Succession.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- See the Jason Lannister calculation
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon II.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- HBO.com: House of the Dragon Cast & Characters
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Hooded Hand.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Viserys I.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Blacks and the Greens.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Westerlands: House Lannister Under the Dragons.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Triumphant.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: The Red Kraken.
- Fire & Blood, Aftermath - The Hour of the Wolf.