A ko is a commander within a khalasar of the Dothraki. He can be protected by a khas. If a khal dies without a strong successor, his kos might fight amongst themselves and form their own khalasars.
A Game of Thrones
The kos of Khal Drogo lead their own khalasars after Drogo's death. Daenerys Targaryen, Drogo's khaleesi, names Aggo, Jhogo, and Rakharo as kos of her small band of remaining Dothraki.
- Aggo, ko to Daenerys Targaryen
- Cohollo, ko to Drogo
- Jhaqo, ko to Drogo
- Jhogo, ko to Daenerys
- Pono, ko to Drogo
- Rakharo, ko to Daenerys
Daenerys: I name you ko, and ask your oath, that you should live and die as blood of my blood, riding at my side to keep me safe from harm.
Aggo: I cannot say these words. Only a man can lead a khalasar or name a ko.—Daenerys Targaryen and Aggo
Daenerys: Why should I fear Pono? He was Drogo's ko, and always spoke me gently.
Jorah: Ko Pono spoke you gently. Khal Pono will kill you. He was the first to abandon Drogo. Ten thousand warriors went with him. You have a hundred.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 42, Daenerys IV.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 61, Daenerys VII.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 64, Daenerys VIII.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 68, Daenerys IX.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 72, Daenerys X.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 12, Daenerys I.