The title Lord Protector is a title which can temporarily be held by a lord, when the lord or lady of one of the Great Houses is in his or her minority or otherwise unable to rule.
A Lord Protector can be established for one of the Seven Kingdoms, or for the entire realm. When named in relation to the Iron Throne, the Lord Protector is named "Lord Protector of the Realm" or simply the "Protector of the Realm". For the Vale, the Lord Protector is named "Lord Protector of the Vale" or "Lord Protector of the Eyrie and the Vale of Arryn". For the North, the title is "Lord Protector of Winterfell". For the other regions, no formal title has yet been revealed.
Known Lords Protector
There are several instances where a Lord Protector has ruled or was suggested to rule:
- Lord Yorbert Royce of Runestone, Lord Protector of the Vale for Lady Jeyne Arryn, who he represented at the Great Council of 101 AC, as Jeyne was in her minority.
- Tyrion Lannister, planned by Tywin Lannister to become the Lord Protector of Winterfell in the event that his wife Sansa Stark, twelve years of age at the time, would inherit Winterfell.
- Lord Petyr Baelish, named Lord Protector of the Vale by his wife, Lady Lysa Arryn, for her eight year old son, Lord Robert Arryn. Following Lysa's death, Petyr assumes the position of Lord Protector of the Eyrie and the Vale of Arryn.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys I.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 47, Eddard XIII.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 68, Sansa VI.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 80, Sansa VII.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 10, Sansa I.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 19, Tyrion III.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale: House Arryn.