Lord of Bitterbridge
During the Battle Beneath the Gods Eye in 43 AC, Lord Caswell fought for King Maegor I Targaryen against Prince Aegon the Uncrowned. He may have been the first Caswell to held the title of "Lord of Bitterbridge", as the town was, up until the previous year, known as "Stonebridge".
At the start of the Dance of the Dragons, Lord Caswell was at court in King's Landing. He was imprisoned in the dungeons under the Red Keep along with other lords suspected to support Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen over her half-brother, King Aegon II Targaryen. When brought in front of the King, Lord Caswell refused to support Aegon and was beheaded by the King's Justice.
As Lord Caswell's son and successor was still a young child, the Bastard of Bitterbridge, Tom Flowers, took command of the Caswell men in the field, while Lord Caswell's widow, Lady Caswell, ruled Bitterbridge in the name of her young son.
After learning the news of his nephew's death at Bitterbridge, the furious Prince Daeron Targaryen sacked and burned the town. In the aftermath of the sack, Prince Daeron stripped the young Lord Caswell of his lordship and sent him and his siblings to Oldtown as hostages of House Hightower. Daeron named the dragonseed, Ser Ulf White, as the new Lord of Bitterbridge for his service in the First Battle of Tumbleton. Lord Ulf died soon after, poisoned by Ser Hobert Hightower.
A Clash of Kings
Known Lords of Bitterbridge
- Unnamed Lord Caswell, ruling during the reign of King Maegor I Targaryen.
- Unnamed Lord Caswell, ruling at the start of the Dance of the Dragons.
- His unnamed eldest son.
- Ser Ulf White
- Lord Armond Caswell, ruling during the reign of King Daeron II Targaryen.
- Lord Joffrey Caswell, Armond's son.
- Lord Caswell, ruling during the reign of King Aerys II Targaryen.
- Lord Lorent Caswell, his son. The current Lord of Bitterbridge.
- A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- The Mystery Knight.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Triumphant.
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Maegor I.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Overthrown.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 44, Tyrion X.