Lord of Brightwater Keep
A Clash of Kings
Lord Alester follows House Tyrell in supporting Lord Renly Baratheon as king at the start of the War of the Five Kings. After Renly's death, Alester rallies his banners and is the first of those who swore to Renly to go over to Stannis Baratheon's cause. Lord Alester quickly converts to the worship of R'hllor, just like his niece and Stannis's wife, Selyse Florent, did before him.. He is named Stannis's Hand mostly due to his connection through his niece.
A Storm of Swords
For their support of Stannis, the Florents are stripped of Brightwater Keep by the Iron Throne. Lord Alester tries to make peace with House Lannister by having Stannis give up his claim to the Iron Throne in exchange for him being named Lord of Storm's End and Dragonstone, with Florent vowing to do the same in exchange for Brightwater Keep and all his lands. For this treason, he is imprisoned in Dragonstone's dungeons, placed in the same cell as Ser Davos Seaworth. When Ser Davos is retrieved from the dungeons, Alester's brother, Ser Axell Florent, denounces him as a traitor and takes the torch from his cell.
A Feast for Crows
Garlan is preparing men to press his claim on Brightwater Keep, which is held by Ser Colin Florent, when news of the ironborn's taking of the Shields reaches him. He plans on gathering men to retake the islands instead of marching on Brightwater Keep.
Known Lords of Brightwater Keep
- Lord Florent
- Lord Alester Florent
- Lord Alekyne Florent (attainted)
- Lord Garlan Tyrell, the current Lord of Brightwater Keep
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 42, Davos II.
- A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- The Hedge Knight.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Alester Florent.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 78, Samwell V.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 10, Davos I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 36, Tyrion VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 19, Tyrion III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 25, Davos III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 36, Davos IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 32, Cersei VII.