The Maidenvault is a keep within the Red Keep, the castle of King's Landing.
Located behind the royal sept, the Maidenvault is a long keep with a slate roof. It has tall carved doors.
After dissolving his marriage with his sister-wife, Daena Targaryen, King Baelor the Blessed confined Daena and her younger sisters, Rhaena and Elaena, into their own "Court of Beauty" to avoid them tempting him with carnal thoughts.
The sisters were comfortably confined in what has become known as the Maidenvault. On one occasion Elaena cut her beautiful hair in an entreaty to be freed, hoping that she would now be considered ugly. Daena escaped three times while dressed as a servant or smallfolk, and she became pregnant with a child, Daemon Waters, who was secretly fathered by her cousin, Prince Aegon. Barba Bracken was one of the noble companions for the sisters during their decade of confinement. Unlike her sisters, Rhaena did not mind the confinement. The princesses were released from the Maidenvault after Baelor's death.
A Storm of Swords
After the Battle of the Blackwater, Lord Mace Tyrell and his entourage stay in the Maidenvault. Sansa Stark has supper with Mace's mother, Olenna Tyrell, and daughter, Margaery Tyrell.
A Feast for Crows
Margaery stays in the Maidenvault even after her wedding to King Tommen I Baratheon. The Blue Bard performs for the young queen in the keep. Margaery and her cousins—Megga, Alla, and Elinor—attempt to learn a new game from Volantis, presumably cyvasse.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 6, Sansa I.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Baelor I.
- ↑ So Spake Martin: The Great Bastards, December 26, 2005
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon IV.
- ↑ So Spake Martin: Three Maidens in the Tower, June 27, 2006
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Viserys II.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 12, Cersei III.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 36, Cersei VIII.