Master of Deepwood Motte
|Master of Deepwood Motte|
|Office||Ruler of Deepwood Motte|
|Current Holder||Galbart Glover|
Master of Deepwood Motte is a title held by the head of House Glover, the rulers of Deepwood Motte in the north.[N 1]
The Glovers ruled as First Men kings after the Long Night, but they were eventually reduced to vassals by the Kings of Winter from House Stark.
A Game of Thrones
Galbart Glover supports Robb Stark, participating in the battle in the Whispering Wood and the Battle of the Camps. He objects to supporting King Joffrey I Baratheon and is in attendance when Robb is proclaimed King in the North at Riverrun.
A Clash of Kings
With Galbart fighting in the south, Asha Greyjoy leads the taking of Deepwood Motte, and is known as its conqueror.
After the Battle of Oxcross, Galbart raids along the coast of the westerlands.
A Storm of Swords
When news reaches Riverrun of Robett Glover's capture at Duskendale, Galbart fears for his brother's life.
After receiving news of the death of Balon Greyjoy, King of the Isles and the North, Robb advances his plan to retake Moat Cailin while Lord Captain Victarion Greyjoy is away. Galbart is ordered by Robb to go with Lord Jason Mallister and Lady Maege Mormont to Seagard and sail up the Neck to find Greywater Watch so that the crannogmen can direct Robb's army around the rear of the ancient fortress. Robb is killed in the Red Wedding, however. Though Jason later remains at Seagard, Galbart's and Maege's whereabouts are currently unknown.
A Dance with Dragons
Asha returns to Deepwood Motte after she fails to be elected queen at the kingsmoot, though she and her followers abandon the motte-and-bailey when Stannis Baratheon and the northern mountain clans appear to retake the seat. Galbart is restored as Master, though his whereabouts are still unknown. With her husband a prisoner in White Harbor and her children at Ten Towers, Sybelle Glover takes charge of Deepwood Motte and sends trackers and hunters to guide Stannis's army.
Known Masters of Deepwood Motte
- Galbart Glover
- Asha Greyjoy, as conqueror of Deepwood Motte.
- ↑ According to Elio Garcia, George R. R. Martin indicated that northern "masters" are similar to southron landed knights.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- ↑ http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/34958-the-asoiaf-wiki-thread/&do=findComment&comment=7590729
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The North: The Kings of Winter.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 63, Catelyn X.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 71, Catelyn XI.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 24, Theon II.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 39, Catelyn V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 35, Catelyn IV.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 51, Catelyn VII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 26, The Wayward Bride.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 42, The King's Prize.