The Milkwater is a large river found beyond the Wall.
The Milkwater's headwaters begin in a lake at the foot of a glacier in the Frostfangs. It flows south past the Fist of the First Men through the haunted forest, possibly through the Gorge to the Bay of Ice. Following the stony banks of the milky-white Milkwater is the easiest way to access the Frostfangs.
Kings and heroes of the free folk are buried along the valley of the Milkwater.
A Clash of Kings
When the great ranging camps at the Fist of the First Men, Jarman Buckwell has his sharpest-eyed men hide along the Milkwater. Thoren Smallwood's rangers scouts along the eastern shore.
After Qhorin Halfhand arrives at the First, Thoren is sent with a group of rangers to scout the Milkwater for Mance Rayder's host of free folk. Jon Snow, part of Qhorin's group sent to scout the Skirling Pass, has a vision through Ghost of Mance's encampment at the source of the Milkwater.
A Storm of Swords
Mance's host digs through hundreds of graves along the valley of the Milkwater in search of the Horn of Winter.
Kedge Whiteye reports that he and Bannen observed Mance's great host slowly marching along the Milkwater toward the Wall. Jeor Mormont, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, plans to confront the wildlings at the Fist of the First Men, but the great ranging is overwhelmed first by wights during the fight at the Fist.
Having been captured by the Lord of Bones, Jon is brought to Mance's camp in the valley of the Milkwater. Jon observes snow and pale mists swirling along the river. Men are able to cross from the western bank to the eastern at shallows near the Fist.
A Dance with Dragons
After the battle beneath the Wall, a wise woman respected by the Milkwater free folk is one of the lesser leaders who kneel to Stannis Baratheon.
As free folk slowly pass through the Wall at Castle Black, Tormund compares the tunnel through the ice to sucking the Milkwater through a reed.
Jon gazed off toward the setting sun. He could see the light shimmering like hammered gold off the surface of the Milkwater as it curved away to the south.—thoughts of Jon Snow
The river's stony banks were bearded by ice, its pale milky waters flowing endlessly down out of the Frostfangs.—thoughts of Chett
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 34, Jon IV.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 53, Jon VII.
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire, Beyond the Wall.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Prologue.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 43, Jon V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Epilogue.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 A Storm of Swords, Prologue.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 18, Samwell I.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 7, Jon I.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 15, Jon II.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 10, Jon III.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 58, Jon XII.