Serjeants of the Golden Company
Day or night, the benches below the salt were never less than half-full with men drinking, dicing, talking, or sleeping in their clothes in quiet corners. Their serjeants would kick them awake when it came their turn to shrug back into their cloaks and walk the walls.—Theon Greyjoy's thoughts
Sour and saturnine, with a maimed hand Hungerford had been a company paymaster for a time, until the Tattered Prince had caught him stealing from the coffers and removed three of his fingers. Now he was just a serjeant.—Quentyn Martell's thoughts
They were hard men, brusque and brutal and not well spoken, with scars and weathered faces that spoke of long service in the free companies.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 14, Brienne III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 3, Jon I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 6, The Merchant's Man.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 17, Tyrion IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 10, Davos II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 50, Arya X.
- A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 57, Tyrion XI.
- Arianne II (The Winds of Winter)
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 24, The Lost Lord.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 41, The Turncloak.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 25, The Windblown.