|Title||Lady of Harrenhal|
|Died||In 299 AC or 300 AC|
|Spouse||Lord Walter Whent|
Shella Whent is the Lady of Harrenhal and head of House Whent.
Appearance and Character
Shella is an old lady. She is considered a friend of the Night's Watch.
According to a semi-canon response from George R. R. Martin, Shella was married to Lord Walter Whent, the brother of Ser Oswell Whent, and she was the mother of the fair maid of the tourney at Harrenhal. In A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings it is stated that Shella is from House Whent, and that her father and grandfather held Harrenhal before her.
A Game of Thrones
While traveling near the inn at the crossroads, Catelyn Stark thinks of Lady Whent, the last of her line, living with her ghosts in the halls of Harrenhal.
Lady Shella yields Harrenhal to forces belonging to House Lannister because she lacks the men to defend it during the War of the Five Kings. King Joffrey I Baratheon grants Harrenhal to Janos Slynt and demands that Shella swear fealty to the new king.
A Clash of Kings
Following instruction from his father, Lord Tywin Lannister, who is aghast at a once-royal seat being granted to the upjumped son of a butcher, Tyrion Lannister strips Lord Slynt of Harrenhal, but it is not returned to Shella. Instead, the Iron Throne grants the castle to Lord Petyr Baelish after the Battle of the Blackwater and names him Lord Paramount of the Trident.
Arya Stark serves incognito at Harrenhal, where Shella's household had used only the lower thirds of two of Harrenhal's five towers. Gendry speaks of Ben Blackthumb, who had smithed for Shella, her father, her grandfather, and House Lothston.
A Storm of Swords
Prior to the Red Wedding, an incognito Sandor Clegane tells Ser Donnel Haigh that he serves Lady Whent.
A Feast for Crows
Lord Petyr Baelish tells Sansa Stark that Lady Shella has reportedly died, but her whereabouts and manner of death are unknown.
A Dance with Dragons
Shella is considered the dispossessed Lady of Harrenhal.
With all the semi-canon and canon information taken into account, this is the current tree for House Whent as described in the main series. Both Shella and her husband, Walter, appear to have been Whents by birth. Their relation to each other, besides their marriage, is as of yet unknown. Until any confirmation is given, a clearer family tree showing all relations of the Whents cannot be depicted.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 23, Alayne I.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 50, Arya X.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 14, Arya IV.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 The Shella Whent entry of So Spake Martin states Shella was the mother of the "fair maid" at the tourney at Harrenhal and therefore the spouse of Lord Whent.
- ↑ "Lady Whent, last of her line, who dwelt with her ghosts in the cavernous vaults of Harrenhal" Chapter 28
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 "He came here as a boy. Smithed for Lady Whent and her father before her and his father before him, and even for Lord Lothston who held Harrenhal before the Whents." Chapter 47
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 28, Catelyn V.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 56, Tyrion VII.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 57, Sansa V.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 8, Tyrion II.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 65, Sansa VIII.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 30, Arya VII.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 47, Arya IX.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Fall of the Dragons: The Year of the False Spring.