Skull Island, also known as Skull Isle, is the northernmost of the Basilisk Isles. It is located in the Summer Sea north of Zamettar in Sothoryos. The small isle is windswept and uninhabited.
Many of corsairs of the Basilisks decorate the hulls and masts of their ships with severed heads. When the flesh has rotted off them, the corsairs replace the heads with fresh ones, while the bare skulls are delivered to Skull Isle as an offering to some dark god. The shores of the island are lined with skulls.
Behind the Scenes
In the King Kong movie series, Skull Island is a fictional island where the eponymous creature lives. While writing A Dance with Dragons, George R.R. Martin frequently referred to the manuscript as "King Kong" (for its size and his struggle with it), and often jokingly described his own location as Skull Island.
- ↑ George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Skull Island.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The World of Ice & Fire, Beyond the Free Cities: The Basilisk Isles.
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire, Central Essos.
- ↑ Not A Blog: KONG, March 27, 2011
- ↑ Not A Blog: Snowstorm on Skull Island, February 15, 2011
- ↑ Not A Blog: Power, Mar 23, 2011