The trumpet is a musical instrument of the brass family. A musician who plays the trumpet is called a trumpeteer.
Trumpets are used to calm crowds before heralds make announcements, or before the start of tourneys. They are also used as a signal in battle.
Trumpets are used all over Westeros, though the northmen usually prefer horns to trumpets. The Free folk from beyond the Wall do not have trumpets and use horns instead. Trumpets are also used in some places of Essos, such as Yunkai.
The coat of arms of the House Wensington depicts golden trumpets.
The Trumpeteer is a trading ship.
Trumpets announced the arrival of the Targaryen princes at Ashford in 209 AC.
During the Reyne-Tarbeck revolt of 261 AC, Lord Roger Reyne commanded his trumpeteers to sound the attack against Ser Tywin Lannister's camp.
In 277 AC, Ser Barristan Selmy liberated King Aerys II Targaryen out of the dungeon of the Dun Fort during the Defiance of Duskendale, but trumpets and horns sounded the alarm before they escape the town.
A Game of Thrones
The trumpets of Lord Tywin Lannister's army are blown the morning of the battle on the Green Fork to signal the men to they have assemble for the imminent battle.
Catelyn Stark hears the trumpets of the Mallisters and Freys during the battle in the Whispering Wood.
A Clash of Kings
Sansa Stark hears the sound of trumpets announcing the start of the tourney for King Joffrey Baratheon's thirteenth name day.
Trumpets and drums are played to announce the return of Catelyn Stark to Riverrun.
A blast of trumpets announces the entry of Lord Tywin Lannister and the other heroes of the battle of the Blackwater at court.
A Storm of Swords
Samwell Tarly sees the golden trumpets banners of the Wensingtons among Stannis Baratheon's army at the Wall.
A Feast for Crows
Trumpets are sounded to announce the arrival of Ser Daven Lannister to Jaime Lannister's camp.
A Dance with Dragons
To the surprise of Asha Greyjoy, trumpets are heard outside Deepwood Motte. Asha prepares to repel the northmen attempt to take the castle, not knowing the trumpets are actually part of Stannis Baratheon's army.
At Winterfell, Theon Greyjoy hears the Frey trumpets signaling the men to assemble for battle.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 63, Daenerys V.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 65, Sansa VIII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 24, Bran II.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 60, Tyrion VIII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 70, Tyrion X.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 2, Sansa I.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 The Hedge Knight.
- ↑ The Mystery Knight.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 62, Tyrion VIII.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 63, Catelyn X.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 26, The Wayward Bride.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 73, Jon X.
- ↑ The Winds of Winter, Tyrion I
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 75, Samwell IV.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses from the Stormlands
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Westerlands: House Lannister Under the Dragons.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 45, Catelyn VI.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 33, Jaime V.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 51, Theon I.