A Storm of Swords
In reaction to the fall of Astapor to Daenerys Targaryen, the Wise Masters hire the Stormcrows and the Second Sons to defend Yunkai. One of the slavers, Grazdan mo Eraz, is sent to offer Daenerys fifty thousand golden marks to leave Slaver's Bay and head to Westeros, but Daenerys refuses. Victorious in the ensuing battle near Yunkai, Danaerys forces the Yunkai'i free their slaves but does not conquer the city.
Daenerys is successful in her siege of Meereen. Cleon the Great, who has taken control of Astapor, sends Ghael as an envoy to Daenaerys. Ghael informs her that Yunkai is raising new soldiers, hiring more sellswords, and sending envoys to other slave cities. The envoy offers a pact between Meereen and Astapor to defeat the Wise Masters.
A Dance with Dragons
The Wise Masters returned to slaving after Daenerys departed for Meereen.
The Wise Masters and their sellsword companies are successful in their siege of Astapor. The Windblown, under contract from Yunkai, give mocking nicknames to each of the topmost Wise Masters in order to identify them.
The Yunkai'i march north for the second siege of Meereen and establish their slave pens and auction block just south of the Skahazadhan. Yurkhaz zo Yunzak leads the Yunkish army, but after his death the Wise Masters rotate supreme command among themselves.
The Winds of Winter
|| Warning |
This information has thus far been released in a sample chapter for The Winds of Winter, and might therefore not be in finalized form. Keep in mind that the content as described below is still subject to change.
By the time hostilities resume between Meereen and Yunkai, the mocking nicknames given by the Windblown to the Wise Masters have spread to the Second Sons. Ser Barristan Selmy sees two trebuchets defend by two dozen Wise Masters, each with their own detachment of slave soldiers.
Known Wise Masters
- Grazdan mo Eraz, an envoy of the Wise Masters
- Yurkhaz zo Yunzak, Supreme Commander of the Armies and Allies of Yunkai
- Yezzan zo Qaggaz, dubbed the Yellow Whale and Lord Yellowbelly
- Malazza, dubbed the Girl General
- Paezhar zo Myraq, dubbed the Little Pigeon
- Chezdhar zo Rhaezn, Maezon zo Rhaezn, and Grazdhan zo Rhaezn, brothers mocked as the Clanker Lords
- Ghazdor zo Ahlaq, dubbed Lord Wobblecheeks
- Morghaz zo Zherzyn, mocked as the Drunken Conqueror
- Gorzhak zo Eraz, dubbed Pudding Face
- Faezhar zo Faez, dubbed the Rabbit
- The Charioteer
- The Beastmaster
- The Perfumed Hero
Every one was wealthy, every one was arrogant, and every one was a captain and commander, answerable to no one but Yurkhaz zo Yunzak, disdainful of mere sellswords, and prone to squabbles over precedence that were as endless as they were incomprehensible.—thoughts of Quentyn Martell
They style themselves the Wise Masters. Of their wisdom I cannot speak, but they do not lack for cunning.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 42, Daenerys IV.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 2, Daenerys I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 70, The Queen's Hand.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: The Rise of Valyria.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 71, Daenerys VI.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 25, The Windblown.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 50, Daenerys VIII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 60, The Spurned Suitor.
- The Winds of Winter, Tyrion II
- The Winds of Winter, Barristan I
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 22, Tyrion VI.